Yes I'm Poly, no, that's not a big deal.

It's my birthday! So all those people who forget I exist get that blip on Facebook telling them to wish me a happy birthday.  

Okay, maybe some of them think of me through out the year. But that's besides the point.

One of my friends, jokingly I assume, asked me when I'm getting married. And I pointed out that my boyfriend was already married, so that would just be a ceremony, and I just don't picture myself marrying my girlfriend. 

He said I was balling and that immediately left a bad taste in my mouth.

I asked him if someone with three kids was balling, he said no, normally people with kids aren't balling. People get jealous, so do kids.

I know he wasn't trying to upset me, but he really did. But it's my birthday, and I didn't want to start on this topic. So I threw one of my reddit post at him with a stolen picture from grrl power (who does a great job of treating non mono relations as normal and leaving them in the background, because romance isn't that important in the comic.  And when Sydney wants to form a polycule the poly person she ask has some really good advise.

So I want to put out my opinions on being poly.  This is just **my** opinion. And this is about relationships.  If your a person who just likes casual sex, that's a whole different kettle and none of my business.

First off, if your not being ethically poly you are cheating and a fucking asshole. 
 --by ethically poly I mean that all of your partners know that they are in a polycule and are honestly okay with you dating other people. 
It's not my business, I don't care, don't talk to me about your love life unless you're trying to date me. 

Saying I'm poly is not an excuse to go have sex with people who are not your partner(s) that is cheating.


second BEING POLY ISNT FOR EVERYBODY AND THAT IS OKAY
I'm serious, it's okay for you to be romantic with as many people as you want, 0- everybody in the whole world. 
It's not anybody business outside of your polycule.

How can you love more than just one person.

I have two responses to this.

The first one I go to is do you have multiple children or siblings?

Did the first kid get all the love and then you took away half that love for the next kid, and took away some from each of them to give it to the third and so on? No, the heart grows.

I found a wonderful example a while ago that compares being in a relationship to cheese.


There are many ways to poly. I like the kitchen table one. How others do it is on them, there are some that raise red flags, like the type that only allows one person of the polycule to date multiple people.

Poly people get jealous to! 

Poly people have the same problems as mono people. I'd say we have it worse, because we have more partner to take care of.  There has been times when both me and my meta were having a bad day and needed my girlfriend's support and she had to chose who to help.  Thankfully, im use to not having support. (I didn't have another partner at the time)
 
And we do get jealous, a little anyways.  Jealously is a natural reaction. But I think we just know how to deal with it better. Here go read this.

At least more partners means more sex right?

Being poly does not mean more sex. It means more partners. People you love and support, people who love and support you.

Do you have sex more than once or twice a week? Then you have more sex than me and I have two partners. 

One of my metas is Asexual, so she doesn't have sex at all!

My my boyfriend has sex at least 7 times a week between his two partners.  

There's so much that can be said on this topic. If really want to know Google your question. But I strongly recommend reading a few answers, because it is a very personal thing.

If your poly, or think you might be poly there is some GREAT communities out there.  I'm on Facebook's poly-geekery group, and r/polyamory over on reddit.

...
I guess I can mention that I am not opposed to acquiring a new partner right now. But you'd need to put in a lot of work, it takes me months of almost daily communication for me to realize that I want to be more with somebody. 

Comments

Popular Posts